Tuesday, June 15, 2010

So-Called Christian

Warning: LONG POST!

Let me start by saying first that I love Jesus. I am also not perfect. For one reason or another I have never been able to stay on track with reading my bible. I think the best I have done was to read regularly for 10 minutes a day for maybe a week or two. I have always enjoyed the time I spent reading the bible, but I am just not great at being regular. I think the problems usually stem from me being wrapped up in other things. See, I love reading. I devour books like I devour food. I am so obsessive when I read books that when there are important things to be done I must FORCE myself to not read. The only way I got through college was by banning books for pleasure unless it was on a break.

Well.. In church the other day God spoke to me and basically pointed out this discrepancy.. I will read read read fiction and non-fiction books alike, yet I still have not read the greatest book ever written. He charged me to not read another book until I have finished the entire bible. Sounds big, huh? Well... It probably will be huge. I began my challenge this week. I did some math and realized that if I read 30 pages a day I can finish in in 2 months. Well, that sounds pretty do-able. I am anxious to continue reading the Wheel of Time series that I began a few weeks ago.. so.... I have to get on it!

So far I have truly been loving reading my bible! It is amazing how much I have missed out on.. I never went to church regularly when I was little so I really don't know many of the "typical children's bible stories". I know it sounds insane, but there have been times while reading that I have been shown so much action, drama, and humor I almost couldn't believe I was reading the bible. It's supposed to be dry and dull, right? Now, don't get me wrong, I have read a few of the books before, and loved them, but this is wholly different!

Today was a struggle... I can't find my bible. Anywhere. I looked all over. I am faced with the fact that I am going on vacation for 11 days and I will need a book.. OCRAP. So.... I went to the library and checked one out. Yep. Well, I got home and realized, hey, I don't need my hard copy, there are websites with the entire bible online! So.. I've been reading for a while, and I finished Genesis today. I feel awesome! :)

I plan on keeping my blog updated with my thoughts or interesting stories that I read.. hopefully it will bless you, maybe inspire you, but it will definitely keep me accountable!

No comments:

Post a Comment