Friday, June 4, 2010

The Family Garden


This is my first year with a vegetable garden. We are attempting to garden organically (surprise!) and are learning so much! We have faced HUGE problems with a gigantic slug infestation. We have tried all the old tricks, (beer in pie tins, etc) to no avail. Yesterday I went to check on the garden and when I looked underneath one of my lettuce plants I was stunned to find dozens of slugs. It was the same story under each lettuce plant. After consulting with my grandma, I decided that the best move for my whole garden is to cut out all of my lettuce and try to save the rest of my garden from these invasive pests. I shook each plant out and slugs were falling out like rain. GROSS! Nate and I spent 20 minutes at the sink pulling off good leaves and rinsing them off, which led to the finding of at least 2 dozen more slugs before the night was done. *sigh* However, the rest of my garden looks very good and I'm hoping I'll be able to eradicate these villains!

No comments:

Post a Comment