Sunday, November 15, 2009

Ginger-Pomegranate Muffins

When I was at the grocery store the other day I stumbled upon the most beautiful pomegranate.. I just had to have it! I had never purchased or prepared one before, so this was an adventure. After googling how exactly one cuts pomegranates, I proceeded to harvest all of those gorgeous, delicious seeds..
Photobucket
The endless possibilities flooded my mind. I decided that I was in the mood for baked goods (as always). I decided to use a ginger muffin recipe I have and add pomegranates to it.. Here's what happened..

Ginger-Pomegranate Muffins
Photobucket

2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 - 1/2 cups honey
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup minced ginger
Zest of 1 lemon
1-1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
1 cup milk
1 large egg
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted and cooled

In a bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix honey, ginger, lemon zest, pomegranate seeds, and combine with milk and margarine.

Photobucket

Mix together with dry ingredients and stir until just incorporated. Spoon batter into 12 (2-1/2 inch wide) or 24 (1-3/4 inch wide) buttered muffin cups, filling each almost to the rim. Bake in a 425 degree oven until lightly browned, about 13 - 16 minutes. Remove muffins from pan at a once. Serve hot or set on a rack and serve warm or cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment